An Online WebQuest on Getting Began with Chickens
- The Job
- The Procedure
Your family are thinking about keeping chickens to be able to possess a way to obtain fresh meat and eggs.
Each member of the family have a role to experience in deciding if chickens is worth considering. The data you gather can help keep the flock healthy and productive. Individuals or teams will be designated to every role. You will find steps to become taken and decisions to make before you launch your brand-new venture.
You’ll explore precisely what it takes to boost chickens for healthy and efficient manufacture of eggs and meat.
Once all the questions happen to be clarified the data is going to be put together to find out an agenda for that new chicken adventure.
Learn to increase your own chickens for meat and egg production. Stick to the links that will help you decide what kinds of chickens to possess, in addition to how to maintain your wild birds healthy and happy.
Each team / individual continues to be assigned a subject. You’ll use the hyperlinks provided along with other sources (library, etc) to get experts in your subject. Both you and your team works together to produce a Group Are convinced that presents your team’s response to the issue associated with your subject. By finishing this WebQuest, you need to attain the following goals:
- develop a desire for study regarding Raising Chickens
- use the strength of the web for advanced exploration
- learn details about key facets of Getting Began with Chickens
- realize that even ‘simple’ topics could be complicated.
- formulate and support a viewpoint according to your roles and
- determine an plan of action that may help you start your chicken project.
You’ll be going through the internet sites which have been assigned. You can start using the pages which are labeled ‘Background Information’ before ongoing to the other topics. Each subject area features its own list of questions to reply to along with a separate set of sites to make use of.
Phase 1 – History
These websites are essential simply because they will give you fundamental details about the subject in general. You need to explore these websites before beginning your pursuit.
These websites can help you comprehend the fundamental terminology and good reputation for chickens.
Before beginning your chicken operation seek advice from the local Community Hall to find out if you will find zoning laws and regulations or ordinances that stop or limit what you can do to help keep chicken.
- Chickens- History for children
- Chicken Anatomy
- Reference of Chicken Terminology
Phase 2 – Roles
These subject areas were selected simply because they each represent a few of the important components of having Began with Chickens. Each subject area has some questions and links to follow along with to reply to the questions.
Here are a few general instructions for all those topics. Please visit specific instructions and questions for every subject below.
1. Explore the themes below.
2. Go through the files designated for the subject. You are able to print pages and underline the various components that you simply feel are essential or copy in the website right into a word processor.
3. Make sure to range from the Link to the page you are taking information from so that you can go back to it and employ it like a citation.
4. Focus what you’ve learned to reply to the questions in every subject place to assist with the ultimate plan.
- Match You want to the best Breed
- The House Broiler Chicken Flock
- Kinds of Chicken
- Chicken Hatcheries
1. What kinds of chickens would be best suitable for egg production?
2. The number of hens must you supply your family’s needs?
3. What kinds of chickens would be best suitable for meat production?
4. The number of meat wild birds will you have to supply your family’s needs?
5. Exist breeds which are suited to both eggs and meat production?
6. What breed/s would you recommend?
7. Which side you buy your wild birds?
Housing and Equipment:
- Small-scale Chicken Housing
- Fixed Housing
- Alternative Chicken Production
- Equipment and offer Companies
1. Just how much space is needed per bird?
2. Exactly what do your chickens need, besides space using their home?
3. Exist alternative housing options? Do you know the benefits and drawbacks of those alternatives?
4. What equipment will you have to feed and water your chickens?
5. Which side you receive the gear?
Health insurance and Diet:
- Feed Chickens Correctly
- Brooding Chicks and Rearing Chicks
- Biosecurity for that Wild birds
- Illnesses of Chicken
1. Exactly what do lounging hens eat?
2. Exactly what do meat wild birds eat?
3. How can you tell that the wild birds are healthy?
4. What are the most typical illnesses and disorders of chickens?
5. How would you keep the chickens healthy?
6. What additional care is required for chicks?
- Home Processing of Chicken
- Legalities for Small-scale Chicken Processors
- Proper Handling of Eggs
- Nh RSAs Chicken Products
- Covering Eggs from Farm to Table
1. When in the event you be prepared to collect the first eggs?
2. How frequently in the event you collect the eggs?
3. How can you prepare the eggs for storage?
4. How lengthy can eggs be stored?
5. What’s the web site broiler, a fryer along with a roaster?
6. How can you process a chicken for meat?
7. How can you keep meat?
8. Are you able to sell you eggs and meat for your neighbors?
Phase 3 – Reaching Consensus
You’ve discovered different topics associated with Getting Began with Chickens. Now gather all your information and solutions to all the questions on the internet sites you explored to determine if, where and how you’re going to get Began with Chickens. Getting an entire, well researched plan will help your house be chicken project effective.
Answer the next inquiries to produce the plan you’ll follow:
- Are chickens advisable for your family?
- If so, which kind of chickens are you going to have? (Egg layers?, Meat Wild birds?, Both?)
- What breed or breeds are you going to raise?
- Which side you buy your chickens?
- The number of chickens do you want?
- Which kind of Housing is most effective to the kind of Chickens you intend to possess?
- How large will the coop/ shelter have to be?
- What equipment do you want for the wild birds?
- Which side you discover the gear?
- What you will really feed the wild birds?
- How would you keep the wild birds healthy?
- Are you going to sell your eggs /meat for your neighbors?
Raising chickens for use at home could be fun and rewarding, now you be aware of basics of raising chickens, exist other facets of chicken production you want to explore? Consider: Conserving Rare Breeds, Breeding for Show, and Chicken Showmanship as some methods to grow your chicken understanding.
By Tina Savage, UNHCE Farming Educator, Carroll County
Buying Chickens at Tractor Supply
Reptiles Rule The World: I dream of the day I can buy a farm and have chickens and a couple of goats. Nothing big just smaller farm animals.\n Seems like a simple enjoyable life.
Q Hop: Connor Anderson I could tell from your picture you are an idiot. Your comment confirmed it.
Manuel Perez: I. have. a. lot. of. chickens. I. have 21 of. them
Ser Arris: If you want the best and tamest pet chickens I can only recommend black or light Brahmas!!! And they aren’t bad egg layers too but a little warning if you have a garden or flower bed Brahmas are notorious diggers. You can bet 10 out of 10 times Brahma chickens will go straight to any kind of soft soil, flower beds, newly sprouted plants and if hate your neighbor with a pot garden for any reason, the best way to ruin his year is to let out 6 or 7 Brahma hens unto his Mari-jane garden and they will annihilate 95% of his plants. But you gotta do this during the day when hes away from home otherwise he will most likely have a shot gun ready and those poor hens will literally explode and you will see down feathers everywhere and he can use them to make a pretty damn awesome pillow from their remains cus Brahmas have the softest feathers on the planet. Also a suggestion if your Brahma chicken is getting old and ready to kick the water bucket is to harvest as many of its down feathers as you can and save them all up until you can. Please do not ever try to repetitively harvest and pluck their feathers while they are alive! this causes them mucho grande pain on your birds that every owner should at the very least treat them with respect. I myself treasure my light Brahma hens since they are my pets and I often have 2 or 3 “favorites” from my flock which I let one sit on my lap as she quietly bochs away as I pet her the same way a cat purrs when you pet it. As you can also see from my photo I have one of my pet hens gently pluck food from my lips and it appears as if the hen and I kiss. I know some of you out there think its really weird for a grown guy to treat a chicken so much like a cat or dog because when you think “chicken” the first thing that pops up in most every ones mind is a mess load of chickens either in a cage laying eggs or a coop which you would naturally never think a bird like that could never make a comparable pet to a cat or dog. No one would believe it until they had one on their lap as well making you warm while she chirps and bochs. And yes a hen will take a poo poo on you until she can expect to feel safe and confortable being held or on your lap. Chickens cannot actually learn to be trained to only poop outside because the reason why you would think out of all the time a chicken has to shit, why does she shit on me when im holding her or letting her sit on my leg? its because before they can learn to be tame she will get nervous which causes her to take a poop. Iv experienced this many times and I an only hope (because its inevitable) she makes a solid poo and not a juicy slimy stinky one. Most other breeds of chickens are impossible to tame to the point of naturally feeling safe and comfortable when held or roosting somewhere in your home. I cant say she will never take a shit when a hen is eventually tamed to her highest potential given that it just depends on the individual and its breed. \nBut for sure Brahma hens are by far in my opinion the most gentile and docile breed of chicken and the best possible as a part time house pet. I can only tell you in words how gentile these hens are until you experience for yourself by putting food between your lips and letting her gently snatch it. And no I cannot promise your hen will not do a hard peck hitting your teeth in the process. Yes iv had that happen before but if you love chickens as much as I do then you will continue training her until it learns she doesn’t need to peck but rather gently pluck. So I hope anyone who reads this post finds it enlightening towards deciding if you want chickens as pets or getting rid of pests, oh which reminds me chickens are the best way to clean up under a cherry tree or any other tree which produces fruit especially if the fruit on the ground is infected with worms you dont want them to hatch and having the worms destroy your cheery or plum trees, chickens are so versatile little creatures oh and plus one last thing instead of letting your leftover food go to waste. Have something called a “chicken bucket” handy to dump all the scrap food and give it your chickens and they will consider that leftover slop as a treat.
crazy chicken girl: Ser Arris same for sex links but REALLY GOOD egg layer they’re funny too ☺️😂
cosmicpeachris: Ser Arris I have a light Brahma rooster
Sauce Boss: Why is he only using his left hand?
Tim Farmer: +Scott Saucerman Wikipedia Tim Farmer
Passing Monsters: Sauce Boss He was in a motorcycle accident that rendered him unable to use his right arm.
Our Little Homestead!: I was told to shut the cameras off yesterday in Lebanon, IN Tractor Supply while filming about Dog toys and dog bedding choices/watering ideas for spickets attachments. The new manager was extremely rude and she said this (even though it is fall here now) you can’t film in store, especially when the ‘chicks’ are in the store.” I said, there’s no chicks, it’s Fall time!” She said, “Turn them off!” I complied apologizing to my viewers! We’ve been filming in that store for two years, everyone new us and our Siberian Husky, and never had an issue until yesterday. She pulled of a ‘power hungry manager’ routine and when we checked out she was extremely unfriendly as my husband did not get the wt done right on the bolts for our tele-prompters weighed properly. She acted like we put her out left and right. We nicely shut off cameras, never gave her a hard time, nothing. She treated us like we were shop lifters in the store! Not kidding! The employees always say hello to us and everyone else as they walk through those glass doors, but this particular day, the first thing I noticed was how everyone was so low-key and almost ‘frigid’ looking in their stares as they worked and checked ppl out at the registers. One lady and gent recognized us and said they were in shock at how badly we were treated once I was told to shut off the cameras and my back was turned. I guess the manager went off on a rant that we did not hear on the other side of the store, saying “This is my store, I run it my way!” I don’t think I’ll ever shop that Tractor Supply again, or, not until my footage goes to corporate and the witnesses who gave us their cell numbers are questioned. That manager needs to go! It’s not about being able to film in the store, she was power hungry and you could see it all over the employee’s faces. You can imagine working with that woman’s ego every day?! YIKES!! Even the employees looked close to tears.
Comments are closed here.